Sunday, May 26, 2013

Jeff Bridges and Yoga

I really loved this quote from The Dude and the Zen Master. I actually loved the whole book, but this quote references yoga in particular:

"It's like yoga. I'll say, Put your head on your f**king knees, come on! And you know what? I get hurt because I can't do it and I'm not patient or kind to myself, I pull a muscle. I don't respect where I am. I push it too hard, I hurt myself, and that turns me off the whole process. But I could do it more gently, you know. Like, row, row, row your boat--gently.
     Sometimes I feel that my relationship with you[Bernie Glassman] is a bit of a yoga pose, too. You expand faster than I want to, so it can become uncomfortable. The relationship is always about opening, jamming, digging what it is to be intimate and generous. It's asking, Who are you? What are you? These are the same questions that I ask myself in different situations in my life, and the challenge is not to judge myself or my answer but to just notice. One of the things that I notice is that there are limits, and limits are a cool place in which to hang."

No comments:

Post a Comment