Monday, December 20, 2010

Enjoying the Journey Makes All the Difference

From the moment I could drive, I have always used a car that could simply get me where I needed to go. There was never much luxury to my traveling experience. Over the years, the dislike for driving a car, especially in inclement weather, grew and grew. It got to the point where I would not participate in activities because I did not want to drive there. I find this interesting since anyone that knows me knows I love to travel. Thousand mile road trips and flying to other continents, I’ll do at the drop of a hat- but getting into the car to drive downtown on a dark or snowy day, dreaded it and did anything to get out of it. My psyche still baffles me, but I’m okay with bafflement. Baffle is a fun word…

So anyway, a couple weeks ago I finally hung up the hat, threw in the towel, or any other euphemism you’d like to add in, and cosigned on a newer car with my Other. And, ohhhhhhhhh boy did my whole perspective on driving change! To have a car that heats up quickly enough to actually warm you as you drive, oh oh oh- and, heated seats are pure heaven to me. To have a car that can actually move through snow without getting stuck or sliding, a car that can play music without faulty wiring continually changing the station or volume level. A car whose engine purrs instead of creaking, clanking, sputtering at me in a constant threat to stop where it is in protest and not start again until I pay $1000 dollars.

All of the sudden, it was an enjoyable experience to drive. No longer was it all about the goal of a destination. I could actually enjoy the getting there part. I could enjoy the journey. And of course the moment I realized that, the yogi in me kicked in, and the metaphor spread to all the other aspects of my life. My car may be the tool that makes the journey to work enjoyable, but yoga is the tool that makes my journey through life more enjoyable. If you think about your body like a car, a vehicle that takes you through life, then it makes complete sense. If we don’t take care of our car- give it regular oil changes, fluid refills, tune-ups, tire rotations, etc- it breaks down, overheats, stops working efficiently and sometimes stops working all together. Fine-tuning my body with yoga over the years has made it possible for me to enjoy the ride through life with better health- physically, mentally, and immunologically. I have upgraded not only my car, but also myself, from an old broken down jalopy, to a nice new fully tricked out whip. Awwwwwwwww yeah(picture me in sunglasses on windy road, driving into the sunset, a rad beat in the background). Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment